Overcoming Unusual Pay Situations
On Demand Webinar Credits APA (CPP/FPC), HR Certification Institute, NASBA, AIPB, SHRM
January 15 at 1:00 - 2:30 pm EST
Gain a better understanding of laws that affect how you handle all kinds of pay situations.
As much as payroll professionals like to think our job is about producing a paycheck each pay period and making sure employees have accurate pay each pay period, it is not always that easy. Employees get overpaid, they end employment with our companies for all kinds of different reasons and we need to be prepared to handle these situations and how to properly handle them according to state and federal laws.
A review of employee terminations and final pay requirements will be discussed in detail from the federal and state level. All types of terminations from death to voluntary terminations will be discussed so you will have a better understanding of payment timing, methods and taxation. Overpayments and laws around taxation and recouping funds from both active and terminated employees will also be discussed in detail.
- You will be able to review the different types of special pay situations which include payroll overpayments, deceased employee pay and termination pay.
- You will be able to discuss employee loans and advances and how to handle them.
- You will be able to identify final pay concerns for terminated employees from severance to legal settlements.
- You will be able to recognize what special state and federal laws should be considered.
- Who Should the Employer Pay and What Documentation Should Be in Place Before Payment?
- State Law Review and How to Apply
- How to Handle Taxation and Year End Reporting for Deceased Wages
- Evaluation of Processes
- How to Put Together a Quality Business Continuity Plan to Protect Your Organization
- Validating the Plan Is Complete and Maintenance of the Plan
- Understanding the Importance of the Overpayment Details
- What Laws Does the Payroll Professional Need to Keep in Mind When Handling a Payroll Overpayment?
- Taxation Corrections and Reporting Requirements
- Advances and Employee Loans and How They Should Be Handled
- Laws to Consider When Deciding to Pay Employees During Incremental Weather
- Examples of Best Practices of How Employers Handle Incremental Weather Pay
- Tax Depositing and Reporting During Incremental Weather
Who should attend?
In Partnership With Lorman Business Center, LLC
Dayna is currently the Director of Payroll Operations at Ann & Robert Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago. Dayna has been heavily involved in the payroll field over 20 years. Starting as a payroll clerk at a small Tucson company, Dayna moved on to be a Payroll Team Leader at Honeywell Inc. During Dayna’s time at Honeywell she obtained her FPC (Fundamental Payroll Certification) through the American Payroll Association. She also received several merit awards for Customer Service and Acquisitions and Divestitures. Dayna is no stranger to teaching she has taught at the Metro Phoenix American Payroll Association meetings and at the Arizona State Payroll Conference. Topics including Payroll Basics, Global/Cultural Awareness, Immigration Basics for the Payroll Professional, Multi-State and Local Taxation and Quality Control for Payroll, International and Canadian payroll. Dayna has her CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) through the APA. She also serves on the National American Payroll Association on the National Strategic Leadership Task Force, Government Affairs Task Force (PA Local tax subcommittee). Dayna has received a Citation of Merit for her service along with being a Gold Pin member of the APA. Besides her payroll accomplishments Dayna is certified in HR hiring and firing practices and is a Six-Sigma Greenbelt
- AIPB 1.5
- This program is acceptable for 1.5 CPEC(s) towards the CB designation through the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB).
- Lorman Education Services is an approved provider through the American Payroll Association. This seminar is approved for 1.5 RCHs. PLEASE NOTE: To receive credit through the American Payroll Association for this program you MUST attend the program in its entirety and use the streaming option, as well as enable (and complete) the required progress checks.
- HR Certification Institute 1.5
- This program has been approved for 1.5 (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR(TM), aPHRi(TM), PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi(TM) and SPHRi(TM)recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
- SHRM 1.5
- Lorman Education Services is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for 1.5 PDC(s) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
- CPE 1.8 including Personnel/HR 1.8
- Lorman Education Services is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its web site: https://www.nasbaregistry.org/cpas/complaints. CPE Credit: Maximum Credit Hours: 1.8 each session (based on a 50 minute credit hour). You must attend at least 50 minutes to obtain credit. Field of Study: Personnel/HR for 1.8 hours. Prerequisite: basic knowledge of processing payroll. Level of Knowledge: Intermediate. Teaching Method: Seminar/Lecture. Advance Preparation: None. Delivery Method: Group Internet Based. Please refer to the information in this brochure for outline, course content and objectives. Upon completion of this course, you will receive a certificate of attendance. Final approval of a course for CPE credit belongs with each state's regulatory board. Please note: In order to receive CPE credit for this course you MUST use the streaming audio option, as well as enable and complete the required progress checks.