Unemployment Insurance: Managing Key Issues in the Response to the Implications of the Coronavirus
Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM EST 90 Minutes Credits HRCI 1.5 & SHRM 1.5 PDCsEnroll in Course
Speaker: Ronald L. Adler, president of Laurdan Associates Inc. has 42 years of HR consulting experience and has served as a consulting expert
Who will Benefit
- HR professionals
- Payroll managers
- Unemployment Insurance specialists
- Internal and external auditors
- Compliance officers
- Risk managers
- C-suite executives
- Middle and on-line managers
- Legal counsels
- Federal unemployment insurance issues
- The CARES Act and its implications
- State unemployment insurance issues
- Key tax issues to be managed
- Key UI benefit issues to be addressed
- How UI issues affect your organization’s financial, managerial, and legal management
Key Learning Objectives
- Gain an understanding of key unemployment insurance issues
- Learn how CARES Act affects unemployment insurance benefits and taxation
- Discuss the strategic issues of employment stabilization and employee separation management
- Learn to identify and assess the risks associated with the federal-state UI program
- Discuss the financial implications of UI liabilities
- Learn how sound HR management practices reduce an organization’s exposure to UI liabilities and costs
- Identify and use UI Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
Unfortunately, UI tax liabilities are only the most obvious risk created by employee separations and unemployment insurance claims. Unemployment insurance claims often expose organizations to other potential liabilities: from wage and hour violations for misclassifying independent contractors to providing plaintiffs with discovery opportunities in other employment litigation settings.
Thus, effective management of your organization’s unemployment insurance experience can provide you with the opportunity to improve your talent management results, improve your hiring and onboarding processes, enhance your performance management and discipline procedures, and reduce your exposure to discrimination and wrongful discharge claims. Effective UI management allows your organization to use UI metrics in assessing human capital risks, helps you assess and measure supervisor and manager performance, more accurately allocates resources, and has a positive impact on the bottom line.
This webinar provides an update on federal and state UI issues, discusses the impact of the coronavirus, discusses 2021 and future state tax liabilities, assesses the risks and costs associated with UI taxes and benefits, and discusses effective UI tax management and cost control techniques.
This activity has been approved for 1.5 HR (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR, PHR, PHRca, SPHR, GPHR, PHRi and SPHRi recertification through HR Certification Institute (HRCI). Please make note of the activity ID number on your recertification application form. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org
This program is valid for 1.5 PDCs for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®
Ronald L. Adler, president of Laurdan Associates Inc. has 42 years of HR consulting experience and has served as a consulting expert on work force, workplace, and HR management issues for The Wall Street Journal, HRMagazine, and other publications and newspapers across the country. Mr. Adler's research findings have been used by the Federal Reserve Board, the EEOC, the National Conference of State Legislatures, the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB), insurers, and international organizations.
Mr. Adler is a frequent lecturer and author on HR management, employment practices, and UI issues. Mr. Adler is the author and editor of the Employment-Labor Law Audit (ELLA), the internationally recognized HR auditing and employment practices liability risk assessment process.